Duration: 13 months
GCSE Grade E/2 or above (or able to achieve these grades) in Maths and English
Or progression from Level 1 Study Programme
Engineering Operatives are predominantly involved in engineering operations which are key to the success of the Manufacturing and Engineering sector allowing employers to grow their business while developing a work force with the relevant skills and knowledge to enhance the sustain the sector.
- How to obtain the necessary job instructions, engineering drawings and specifications and how to interpret them
- Relevant statutory, quality, environmental compliance procedures/systems, organisational and health and safety regulations relating to engineering operations
- Their individual roles and responsibilities within the organisation and the flexibility required to support the achievement of company targets
- Engineering operational practices, processes and procedures
- Potential problems that can occur within the engineering operations and how they can be avoided
- Maintenance planning
- Diagnostic and fault finding techniques
- Specific safe working practices, maintenance procedures and environmental regulations that need to be observed
- Work safely at all times, complying with health and safety legislation, regulations, environmental compliance procedures and systems and other relevant guidelines
- Identify and deal appropriately with any risks, hazards, hazardous situations and problems that may occur within the engineering environment within the limits of their responsibility
- Demonstrate effective communication skills which include oral, written, electronic
- Complete appropriate documentation accurately, efficiently and legibly using the correct terminology where required
- Obtain and follow the correct documentation, specifications and work instructions in accordance with time constraints and the roles and responsibilities identified for the engineering activities, extracting the necessary data/information from specification and related documentation
- Select and use appropriate tools, equipment and materials to carry out the engineering operation
- Deal appropriately with any problems that may occur within the manufacturing environment within the limits of their responsibility
- Work efficiently and effectively at all times maintaining workplace organisation and minimising waste
- Carryout fault location on appropriate equipment using suitable maintenance diagnostic techniques
- Carryout maintenance activities in line with work instructions
- Carryout tests on the maintained equipment in accordance with test schedule/defined test procedures
- Follow appropriate completion activities and restore equipment to service by replacing or repairing components
Apprentices will be required to attend KITS full-time for an initial period of 4-6 months to complete the Level 2 Skills element.
In addition, Apprentices will attend 1 day per week for 1 academic year to undertake the Level 2 Knowledge elements.
Those Apprentices who have not achieve Level 1 Maths and/or English, will also need to attend classes until this level is attained. Apprentices must also take the test for Level 2 prior to undertaking the End Point Assessment process.
There is a minimum requirement of 20% off-the-job training throughout the duration of the Apprenticeship and this is achieved through attendance at the above, practical training, shadowing/mentoring and learning support/time spent during working hours completing assessments/assignments.
- Personal responsibility, resilience and ethics.
- Work effectively in teams.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Focus on quality and problem solving.
- Continuous personal development
- Level 2 Diploma in Engineering Operations (Skills)
- Level 2 Diploma in Engineering Operations (Knowledge)
End Point Assessment:
Upon successful completion of the above Qualifications/Core Skills, Apprentices will prepare for the End Point Assessment Process which covers the following:
- Practical Observation
- Professional Discussion
- Reflective Portfolio
For further information, please visit the Institute for Apprenticeship website: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/engineering-operative/
Level 3 Engineering Apprenticeship